Sunday 23 September 2012

(Eight legged) companion


A spider lives in my wing mirror

I've never seen him yet everyday he leaves 
silken traces that I dare not disturb 
as his homely reflections 
delicately waft in the slipstream

I travel with my elusive 
companion weaving his tangled web 
occasionally funnelling towards 
dazzling indicators
as my ticket to freedom 
remains his home

Regular journeys turning into irregular choices
by blue messages appearing on 
glass nestled between my thighs
connecting then missing a turn

The distances grown
stretch black tarmac 
thinner than chewing gum 
beneath two bands of rubber

Millions of seconds sat on blue weave 
heading towards a lifetime of firsts
a neutral third rings out changing 
down from fifth missing a perfect fourth

I swerve over a fidgeting balloon 
in the middle of the carriageway
which to my surprise survives

Seventy thousand miles travelled 
without ever knowing my stowaway
and should we ever meet
I will ask how the road looks 
going backwards

No comments:

Post a Comment